Thursday, September 21, 2006

Reading up

For some strange reason, I seem to have developed a strange fascination for electric plugs whilst trying to work out how to recharge my camera along the trip. I have to say http://kropla.com/electric2.htm is riveting.

We've also been reading up on our destinations and generally jotting down places we don't want to miss. For travel tips, http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com makes for interesting reading (see Trip Tips). Just don't listen to 'Micky' who advises against preplanning, quote "...the fun is in the freedom,do whatever you want whenever.."Sure, imagine going round the world only to return and realise you didn't see or do half of things you should've. I don't think so.

Other good sites that will furnish you with gems like various ways of getting fleeced by the Chinese on one end of the continent and the Indians on the other include travelindependent.info, bootsnall.com (my fav), virtualtourist.com and tripadvisor.com. Check out en.xian-tourism.com with its 'leader's message' (and no I don't think its a Babelfish jobbie. Fyi I suspect its original version, in chinese, would have actually included the words 'illustrious' , 'refulgence' and 'light of wisdom') ... but don't ask.

Wildlife sites also provide a wealth of information. I shall be looking out for those cute little marmots on the Mongolian Steppes... and avoiding them (they are carriers of bubonic plague). Note to self: Do not eat 'bodok'.

No comments: