Friday, October 20, 2006

A Date

Day 11 - I have a date with my Mongolian policeman. After breakfast at the hotel (they also serve rice and kimchi for breakfast... there are a lot of Korean businesses here), we look for the police station. After an hour and a half's walk, we find it. Fortunately, we are on a first name basis (ahem!) as no one speaks English, so the officer in front points us to our policeman's office.

After much sign language, I get him to call up our travel agent who translates the details of the incident to him. He carefully writes this down on a piece of paper and even corrects what I think is grammar (not sure why since our Insurance would not be able to read Mongolian anyway, but I do commend his conscientiousness). Sigh, I now feel like a connoisseur of police stations having seen quite a few by now. The place resembles a bank more than a police station. As we sit at the desk, officer after officer comes in with cash notes, which our dear policeman records and adds to his neat pile of notes and papers. There must be a lot of parking fines in Ulaan Baatar ;P Two hours later, I get my report, all nicely typed up in Mongolian. If I had my choice, between the russkies and the mongolians, I'd take my chances with the mongolians anyday.

We spend the rest of the day in the city, buy a North Face jacket (with detacheable fleece) for 40000 Tugriks (approx 20 quid).

No comments: